Do you feel bad because of the Python docs?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Feb 26 07:54:56 EST 2013

One week ago, "JoePie91" wrote a blog post challenging the Python
community and the state of Python documentation, titled:

"The Python documentation is bad, and you should feel bad".

http://joepie91.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/the-python-documentation-is-bad-
and-you-should-feel-bad/

It is valuable to contrast and compare the PHP and Python docs:

http://php.net/manual/en/index.php
http://www.python.org/doc/

There's no doubt that one of PHP's strengths, perhaps its biggest
strength, is the good state of documentation. But should we feel bad
about Python's docs? I don't think that either the Python documentation
or community is as bad as JoePie91 suggests. (Well, I won't speak for the
people on Freenode's #python. It took me approximately three minutes to
be banned from there, with no warning or explanation.)

Another response to the blog post, by one of the core developers:

http://blog.briancurtin.com/posts/why-i-dont-feel-so-bad.html

--
Steven