installation

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Feb 26 04:09:28 EST 2013

In article <445BF19A-2093-4910-97A5-7F23D6E642F4 at insightbb.com>,
 Steve Pruitt <steve.pruitt at insightbb.com> wrote:

> I installed Python 3.3 for the Mac (10.6.8), but I did not get the
> interpreter installed.  I get IDLE and the Launcher, but no interpreter.  At
> least I can't find it.
>
> I thought maybe it updated /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.  No
> luck.  I guess my question is how do I get the latest interpreter installed?

If you used one of the python.org installers for OS X, it installs into
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework.  /System/Library/Frameworks is
where the Apple-supplied Pythons are located.  You should not attempt to
alter or delete files there.

To use the new Python you should ensure that the framework bin directory
is added to the front of your shell PATH environment variable.  For
Python 2 installs, the installer does this automatically by default. For
Python 3 installs, the installer does not.  However you can double-click
the Update Shell Profile command in the /Applications/Python 3.3 folder.
After it completes, open a new terminal window and you should find that
python3.3 is now available.  You can also manually edit your
.bash_profile or other relevant shell startup file:

PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/bin:${PATH}"
export PATH

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org