telnet to Cognex In-Sight 4001 camera

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Feb 25 20:44:19 EST 2013

In article <71787193-b4aa-438f-a8f1-058873346e27 at googlegroups.com>,
 chris.annin at gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, February 25, 2013 9:02:54 AM UTC-8, chris... at gmail.com wrote:
> > Hello,  ive been struggling with this for a couple weeks now and was hoping
> > someone might be able to help.  I have an older Cognex camera that I need
> > to communicate with via telnet.  I can get a response from the camera when
> > I initiate a telnet session but I dont seem to get any response when I
> > write the user name to the camera -  I havnt been able to get any response
> > writing anything.

Two suggestions I can make.

One is to use the command-line telnet utility to talk to the camera.
Verify that you can at least make a connection and authenticate that way.

Second, use a packet sniffer to watch the actual traffic going back and
forth to the camera.  On a Unix box, I would do:

$ tcpdump -s 0 -A host 10.31.18.21

but it looks like you're on windows, so you'll want to use Wireshark
(http://www.wireshark.org/) instead of tcpdump.  If you're not familiar
with TCP protocol details, you'll want to read up on it so you can
properly interpret what tcpdump or Wireshark is telling you.