yield expression

Vytas D. vytasd2013 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:07:14 EST 2013

Hi,

You are using "yield" incorrectly. "yield" works like return, but it can
return more than once from the same function. Functions that "yield"
produce a so called "generator" object. This generator object gives you
values every time you call it.

The generator works very interesting way. It starts like normal function
and goes until it finds "yield" and returns the value. The state of
generator is saved - it is like it is put to sleep until you call it again.
So the next time you call generator() it runs from the point it returned
last time and will return you another value.

Simple sample of making and using generator (prints forever, so just kill
with CTRL+C).

def counter(start_at=0):
    """Returns integer each time called"""

    count = start_at