tkinter / gui

inq1ltd inq1ltd at inqvista.com
Sun Feb 24 12:00:09 EST 2013

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 02:50:43 PM Rex Macey wrote:
> Here is one general and one specific question about creating GUIs using
> tkinter from a newbie.  I have created a class in which to hold some data.
> I want to create a GUI to get the data from the user and store it in the
> object.  Browsing the web I see that a lot of examples on GUIs have the
> forms put into classes.  I'm not clear why.  Why is that? Second, I've
> created a form with a bunch of widgets on it, one of which is a listbox.
> This is done with a script, not a class.   I've defined a method that
> responds to a Button Release event.  I know this works because I can print
> the value selected in the listbox while within the method.  However, I want
> the value of the listbox after I've closed the form.  How do I get that?
> Thanks.

There are a few ways to approach this.
without getting to far in depth here,
you can do something like this.

This is not technically correct but a
simple concept of how to.

make a class
class Klbox
    lbox = ''

    def __init__(self):
        self.FmkLbox()

    def FmkLbox(self):
          mkLbox = Listbox(masterTK)      ## create the listbox in TK
          config.mkLbox( stuff, morestuff,  ## config it however you want
                               selectmode = ???)

          ## you may have to import your class Klbox, here
          #depending where you are in your program
          then relate Klbox.lbox = (?? something selected from listbox)

       # from somewhere else in your program you can
          import Klbox
          x = Klbox.lbox
          print x,

         Or, you can also learn how to use the
         Tkinter StringVar Class,   available in Tkinter manual
         but you will need to relate the StringVar to an attribute
         as I described above so you can get it from another
         module or class in your program.

jd
inqvista.com