Python Newbie

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Feb 24 20:11:44 EST 2013

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:40:54 -0500, Mitya Sirenef wrote:

> But if block doesn't have to be inside a function, right? It needs to be
> inside a module, but then again everything is inside a module, but it
> wouldn't be very object-oriented if the module was the only object in
> Python :-).

Python doesn't have code blocks as distinct values. I suppose you could
fake it using compile() and eval() by hand, but it wouldn't work very
well.

Ruby-style code blocks have been requested for many years. GvR has given
his support to this *in principle*, but it depends on somebody thinking
up decent, unambiguous syntax that works with the rest of Python.

--
Steven