Python Newbie

Mitya Sirenef msirenef at lightbird.net
Sun Feb 24 17:40:54 EST 2013

On 02/24/2013 04:44 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:08  AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:

 > Careful on the citations - Ethan Furman said that, I just quoted him.
 >
 >> Well, not quite everything. If I write:
 >>
 >> if foo:
 >> do_this()
 >> and_this()
 >>
 >> the code block making up the body of the "if" statement is not an
 >> object. In some languages, it is.
 >
 > Maybe, but the code of an entire function *is*. Granted, it's not an
 > object that can be built up manually (at least, not that I know of),
 > and it offers only limited functionality (dis.dis, but not a lot
 > else), so really it could be seen as just an implementation detail of
 > the function object itself. But it's still an object.
 >
 > ChrisA

But if block doesn't have to be inside a function, right? It needs
to be inside a module, but then again everything is inside a module, but
it wouldn't be very object-oriented if the module was the only object in
Python :-).

  -m

The press, the machine, the railway, the telegraph are premises whose
thousand-year conclusion no one has yet dared to draw.  Friedrich Nietzsche