Python Newbie

Michael Ross gmx at ross.cx
Sun Feb 24 15:33:28 EST 2013

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:40:05 +0100, <piterrr.dolinski at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > if (some statement):		# short form
>> >
>> > rather than
>> >
>> > if (some statement == true):	# long form
>>

>> What all those ugly brackets are for?
>>

> Mark,
>
> Back in the day when C was king, or take many newer long established
> languages (C#, Java), the use of () has been widespread and mandated by
> the compilers. I have never heard anyone moan about the requirement to
> use parentheses.

You've never heard me then. I ... "strongly dislike" having to parse
visual elements which I consider superfluous and implicit.

Does the English language have a proverb like "not being able to see the
forest for the trees"?

To me, a C source looks like all brackets. Can't see the code for all the
brackets.

> Now come Python in which parens are optional, and all of a sudden they
> are considered bad and apparently widely abandoned. Do you really not
> see that code with parens is much more pleasing visually?

I guess one can get just as religious about the brackets as one can about
the whitespace.

	if ( condition ) { action }
vs
	if condition: action

In time estimated, I'd say I can read and understand Python code about 20%
faster than any of these brackety languages, even compared to languages I
worked a with couple of years longer. That's a lot of effort saved.

Michael