Python Newbie

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Sat Feb 23 18:04:31 EST 2013

On 2013-02-23, 15:51 GMT, Chris Angelico wrote:
> When you learn your first language, you think you're learning to
> program, but that's not really accurate. Once you've learned half a
> dozen, you begin to understand something of the art of coding as
> distinct from any particular language; after that, you can learn any
> language fairly easily.

And then you find out that to be REALLY good in one language, you
have to focus on one language, because otherwise you are writing
in some kind of mishmash. The point is that you don’t need to
know any language but to at home in the whole universe of
libraries, idioms, patterns, etc. and if you can manage to be
REALLY at home in more than one (or let’s say two) universes, you
are better than most (professional programmers) I know.

Shakespeare wasn’t good in writing German poetry, as far as
I know.

Matěj