Python Newbie

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 21:48:53 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Mitya Sirenef <msirenef at lightbird.net> wrote:
> It's also worth noting that if there's a new language that is somewhat
> better than all established languages, but not to the extent that it
> will ever replace them (because of network effects), it's not really
> better for any practical purposes -- present and future[*] ecosystem is a
> part of a language's value proposition.

Right. In a pure and clinical sense, it may be "better" - it might
save you 10% on dev time and 25% on run time, say - but if it costs
you more than that in support and documentation when you explain to
people how they have to install a new language interpreter to use it,
it's a much less promising proposal. (That's why Gypsum, my MUD client
written in Pike, is still a toy. I was fully aware that I was saddling
it with an obscure language interpreter.)

ChrisA