Python Newbie

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Fri Feb 22 06:05:20 EST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for this. Regarding ambiguity, you will never find me write
> ambiguous code. I don't sabotage my own work. But the reality is
> that in addition to writing my own code, I have to maintain
> existing. I find it incredibly confusing then I see a statement
> along the lines of "if not something" - have to study the code in
> detail to see what it is testing.

I don't know how to respond to that. I cannot see where "if not something" gets complicated.

Would you understand "if not bool(something)" ? Because this is basically how it works. This is the closest thing to C 'casts'. Saying that, trying to translate a language into one another is most of the time a bad idea.

raining = isItRaining(today)

if (raining) :
  takeMyUmbrella()

Some psychopath will write
if (raining == True)

but these are lost to mankind.

Stop using i,j,x,var,idx,count and you'll be just fine writing your if statements.

> I could show more examples of what I find confusing in existing code,
> but I don't intent to troll. I'm just trying to understand the
> language as it is. I will see how it goes.
>
> Pete

From this thread I can only tell that your brain is completely wired for your C# style and will reject any new concept that digress from C#.
If you stay that way, you won't be able to learn any new language, considering Python is one of the easiest to learn.

JM

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE:

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.