PyQT app accessible over network?

Alec Taylor alec.taylor6 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 04:00:56 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/22/2013 02:49 PM, Monte Milanuk wrote:
>> Web2py does seem pretty attractive in that it seems to come with a lot
>> of functionality rolled in already.  It seems to be pretty easy to
>> deploy... since this would be more of a case where the volunteer match
>> directors are not necessarily computer gurus, and something that can
>> literally run from a USB stick on nearly any computer has its benefits.
>>   I've seen some examples (I think) of twitter-bootstrap in some other
>> demos of flask, and it looked reasonably attractive without being too
>> over the top.  web2py's DAL seems fairly straight-forward too.  Looks
>> like I may have to get more fluent in CSS & javascript, though...
>
> If you just use web2py to implement the database calls and business
> logic, and to implement a simple, clean API (RPC really) for the clients
> to talk to, then you can still use your non-web UI tools like PyQt.  But
> as an added bonus you can do a web interface as well.  You'll have
> flexibility either way.  A client is a client, whether it's web-bases
> and running on the same server, or a remote app using RPC over HTTP.
>
> I think all web-based apps should expose a web service (an API).  that
> way you have flexibility to do a variety of front-ends.  Normal web
> browser, mobile browser, a standalone app (think android or iphone).
>
> As far as doing client/server stuff with just a database engine, unless
> you have tight control over the environment end to end, from a security
> pov, it's not a good idea to expose the database engine itself to the
> internet.  Better to put a restricted web services API in front of it
> that handles all the authorization needs (access-control) on the
> detailed level that you require.
> --

Michael Torrie: Have seen a few PyWt examples in alpha if that's what
you describing…

But there would still be more implementation overhead then just using
e.g.: SQLFORM(db.table_name) to create a CRUD form.

I don't see any disadvantage of using web2py for everything; unless
we're talking decentralised infrastructure in which case a queuing
mechanism would likely be better; and have each client implement a
server as well. (thus still no use-case for Qt).

Also SQLite has a number of excellent features, namely 2 file deployments.

So it's very portable. Otherwise for postgres or mysql you'd probably
need to package in your own silent installer (which admittedly isn't
overly difficult; but is quite involved)…

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Monte Milanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like I may have to get more fluent in
> CSS & javascript, though...

Understanding how `style` attributes work, how to use FireBug (or
Chrome Dev Tools); and finding a good javascript widget library (e.g.:
from Twitter Bootstrap) should be more than enough for your project.

In fact; it's been enough for almost all my projects!

(though now I'm moving to AngularJS will need to get more involved on
the js front :P)