PyQT app accessible over network?

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 10:45:13 EST 2013

> I've been working at learning python off and on now for a while, with
> a couple programs in mind as a goal - kind of specialized stuff that
> I can't seem to find a good match for already available, competitor
> records, score-keeping & results for an amateur sports tournament.

So you want to develop a database application. That's a standard case.

> Probably 98-99% of the time the match administration would be done by
> a single individual on a single PC, which seems like it would be
> nearly ideal for a desktop application implemented in PyQt4 or
> similar.  The problem is (as usual) those edge cases where there are
> enough volunteers/resources to have more than one person doing data
> entry (maybe 2-3 in practice, but lets say 10-12 for arguments sake
> to pad things a bit).

PostgreSQL and the frameworks mentioned below don't care for the number
of clients. You could buy a zSeries (or whatever they are called now)
from IBM and serve thousands of clients simultaneously if you needed to.

> What I was wondering is what would be a good way of handling this
> with a PyQt app? Build the desktop app first, and add some sort of
> functionality to enable a lightweight web server and framework for
> the additional data entry 'clients'?

No, you just implement a GUI in whatever GUI framework you want (PyQt,
PyGTK, wxPython) and use a client-server RDBMS for storage.

No web-nonsense gadgetry required with bloated cursor-animation
"browsers" etc..

For the storage I recommend PostgreSQL, for the client GUI, there are
several frameworks available:

using PyQt (& Sqlalchemy):
Pypapi: www.pypapi.org
Camelot: www.python-camelot.com
Qtalchemy: www.qtalchemy.org

using PyGTK:
Sqlkit: sqlkit.argolinux.org (also uses Sqlalchemy)
Kiwi: www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi
Glom: www.glom.org

using wxPython:
Dabo: www.dabodev.com
Defis: sourceforge.net/projects/defis (Russian only)
GNUe: www.gnuenterprise.org

Pypapi, Camelot, Sqlkit and Dabo seem to be the most active and best
documented/supported ones.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang