PyQT app accessible over network?

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:22:53 EST 2013

Hello all,

New guy here, with a kind of general question.  Hopefully its not too
silly...

I've been working at learning python off and on now for a while, with a
couple programs in mind as a goal - kind of specialized stuff that I
can't seem to find a good match for already available, competitor
records, score-keeping & results for an amateur sports tournament.  Many
places use some cobbled-together Excel spreadsheet, which has its
limitations.  Others use an antiquated DOS-style application written in
PowerBasic that has issues of its own.

Probably 98-99% of the time the match administration would be done by a
single individual on a single PC, which seems like it would be nearly
ideal for a desktop application implemented in PyQt4 or similar.  The
problem is (as usual) those edge cases where there are enough
volunteers/resources to have more than one person doing data entry
(maybe 2-3 in practice, but lets say 10-12 for arguments sake to pad
things a bit).

What I was wondering is what would be a good way of handling this with a
PyQt app?  Build the desktop app first, and add some sort of
functionality to enable a lightweight web server and framework for the
additional data entry 'clients'?  Or would it be better to create
dedicated PyQt client apps to connect to the PC/laptop running the
'main' application?  Should I go a different direction entirely, with a
complete self-hosted webapp built on a framework like web2py?

As you can probably tell, I have only a vaguely fuzzy idea of 'how' at
this point... but I would like to be able to proceed with some
confidence that as I get further down the road I'm not going to run into
a dead-end and have to start over down a different path.

Thanks,

Monte