Urllib's urlopen and urlretrieve

qoresucks at gmail.com qoresucks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 00:09:50 EST 2013

Initially I was just trying the html, but later when I attempted more complicated sites that weren't my own I noticed that large bulks of the site were lost in the process. The urllib code essentially looks like what I was trying but it didn't work as I had expected.

To be more specific, after I got it working for my own little page, I attempted to take it further and get all the lessons from Learn Python The Hard Way. When I tried the same method on the first intro page to see if I was even getting it right, the html code was all there but upon opening it I noticed the format was all wrong, colors were off for the background, images, etc... were all missing. So clearly I ended up misunderstanding something and its something critical I need to understand.

As for the OS, I primarily use Mac OS, however well versed in linux and windows if there is anything specific out there that might help.

As for which version if Python, I have been using Python 2 to learn on as I heard that Python 3 was still largely unadopted due to a lack of library support etc... by comparison. Are people adopting it fast enough now that I should consider learning on 3 instead of 2?

Also, it isn't so much to do it for technical reasons but rather I thought it would be something interesting and fun to learn some form of internet/network programming. Granted, its not the best approach, but I'm not really aware of too many others, and I it does seem interesting to me.

Python programming probably isn't the best way to initially approach this I agree, but I wasn't sure what to research on or to get a better grasp of network/internet/web programming so I figured I would just dive head first and figure things out, and reinforce more programming while learning internet/network programming was my initial goal.

Thank you all for your responses though. :)