Help me debug this script with argparse and if statements

Santosh Kumar sntshkmr60 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 05:05:42 EST 2013

I have this script (setup.py):

import os
import sys
import shutil
from argparse import ArgumentParser

if os.getuid() != 0:
    sys.exit("can't proceed, sudo privileges needed")

installManto = '/usr/share/man/man1/'
installBinTo = '/usr/local/bin/'
capsLoc = '/usr/local/bin/myapp'
mansLoc = '/usr/share/man/man1/mymanpage.1.gz'

def install():
    shutil.copy2('doc/mymanpage.1.gz', installManto)
    shutil.copy2('myapp', installBinTo)

def uninstall():
    os.remove(capsLoc)
    os.remove(mansLoc)

def update():
    uninstall()
    install()

parser = ArgumentParser(
    prog='setup.py',
    description='installer for myapp',
    )

parser.add_argument(
    'install',
    nargs='?',
    help='install myapp'
    )

parser.add_argument(
    'uninstall',
    nargs='?',
    help='uninstall myapp'
    )

args = parser.parse_args()

if args.install:
    if os.path.isfile(capsLoc) or os.path.isfile(mansLoc):
        print("The files exists, getting ready to update.")
        update()
    else:
        print("Running the initial setup...")
        install()
elif args.uninstall:
    print("Uninstalling..")
    uninstall()
else:
    parser.print_help()

Here is what happens:

1. I can copy the *myapp* and *mymanpage.1.gz* to their appropriate
locations with *sudo python setup.py install*. This is what I expected,
their is no problem upto here.

2. Running* python setup.py uninstall* *copies* the files instead of
removing them.

3. Running * python setup.py uninstall *when installed *updates* the files
instead of removing them.

So what's the problem? What is the fix? Any further tips for me?
--
Twitter <https://twitter.com/sntshk> | Github <https://github.com/santosh>