Is Python "venerable"?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Feb 19 21:45:53 EST 2013

A quote from Computer World (http://tinyurl.com/bxqjed8):

"... the Python Software Foundation (PSF) - a non-profit supporting the
venerable Python programming language ..."

Venerable?  Come on.  Fortran is venerable.  Cobol is venerable.  Old
farts use things that are venerable.  I don't want to be an old fart
(not that I have much say in the matter).

I use Python because I want to be one of the cool kids, doing new hip
stuff.  Has the language really progressed to the point where it's being
called "venerable"?  If I want to be one of the cool kids, am I now
going to have to switch to Lua or Scala or (please, no) JavaScript?