Is there a graphical GUI builder?

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Wed Feb 20 15:05:31 EST 2013

Am 19.02.2013 23:19, schrieb Rex Macey:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer.
> A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment.
There are GUI builders, but unfortunately there's none which is as
easy to use as VB where the GUI builder and the rest of the programming
environment / language are tightly integrated.

Have a look at the GUI toolkits wxPython and PyQt.
Then have a look at the GUI builders like Qt Designer,
wxFormBuilder and wxGlade. Maybe also wxDesigner.

For the builder itself, you will probably like Qt Designer most.
But as with the other GUI builders, it generates resource files
or Python source code which then you will need to import into your
Python project and manually link GUI and code. Compared to the VB
way, this is a huge step backwards and also this means that you need
to know and remember a lot about the underlying toolkit.

You will probably end up coding your GUIs manually, which is the
best way for complex things anyway.

Unfortunately, that's a blocking point for many usage scenarios,
e.g. when you want to sell Python as replacement for VB...

Regards,

Dietmar