Is there a graphical GUI builder?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 06:25:04 EST 2013

On 2013-02-21 10:18, Steve Simmons wrote:

> On 21/02/2013 11:08, Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> well that can be discussed... (BSD, MIT, Apache, CDDL)
>> You can argue about which is the "best" license to use (I don't
>> personally like the GPL and LGPL, and don't use them on my creations),
>> but Steve's description that its free status depends on what you're
>> doing with it implies a fairly major violation of the principles of
>> software freedom, which I would expect *all* the popular open-source
>> licenses to be correct on.
>>
>> ChrisA
> I downloaded my copy when Qt was in Nokia's hands at which time there was a paid
> for license for commercial development and a 'free' community license.   I
> thought that situation remained but if things have changed since the change of
> ownership (guardianship?), then I apologise for being out of date - as so many
> parts of me are :-)

The situation has not substantively changed, but your description of it is not
really accurate. There was and still is a "commercial license" which allows for
completely proprietary development without needing to allow end users to relink
the application against user-supplied versions of Qt. The free license is the
LGPL, which really is Free under all common understandings of that term. You can
use the LGPL license for commercial and otherwise-proprietary applications. You
just have to follow the terms of the LGPL like normal.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco