Is there a graphical GUI builder?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Feb 20 06:19:09 EST 2013

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:42:48 +0100, Roland Koebler <r.koebler at yahoo.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> > [q] In Qt, it's also possible to generate such flexible layouts. But
>> > it's unfortunately not the default way in Qt, and the Qt designer
only
>> > supports it rudimentarily, and in a much less obvious way. And Qt
does
>> > not have such a "container"-concept, where many widgets (e.g.
buttons,
>> > notebook registers etc.) contain other widgets.

>> I'm sorry but all of that is completely wrong. Using layouts that
>> automatically adapt to fonts, the size of widgets being laid out etc.
is
>> the default way. You could use explicit sizes and positions if you
wanted
>> to, but that would be bad for the reasons you gave.
> hmm, interesting, but then Qt Designer is a total mess.
>
> In Qt Designer (at least in 4.x), the default is a fixed layout, where
> I have to position the widgets at precise pixel-positions and have to
> define the size in pixels. And I cannot remove the default fixed layout
> without modifying the .ui-file in a text editor!

I'm sorry but that is just wrong. You position the widgets roughly, select
them, then click on the button corresponding to the layout you want to
apply. By selecting a sub-set of the widgets you can create a sub-layout
which itself can be part of a parent layout. You therefore create any sort
of layout you want without specifying a single pixel position or size.

Phil