Is there a graphical GUI builder?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:43:33 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Rex Macey <xer0925 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Python and only a hobbyist programmer.  A long time ago I used Microsoft's Visual Basic which had a nice (graphical) facility for creating GUIs which was part of the development environment.  I'm wondering if there's a utility for Python to build GUIs.  I see that there is TKinter, which is a scripting function to build GUIs. To be clear, I'm looking for a graphical interface to build GUIs. Thanks.

That way of building a window tends to produce programs that port
badly to other systems. Back in the 1990s, I used to build windows
that way (mainly using VX-REXX); playing with Java applets introduced
the novel and somewhat strange idea that your window should be built
using rules and layouts, to avoid problems with button sizes, fonts,
etc, etc. Today, cross-platform code is the norm, not a curiosity, so
this method of building up a window is correspondingly more plausible.
I strongly recommend it.

You have to think about your window differently - think about what
you're putting where, rather than going visually "that looks about
right" - but the reward is that it'll look right no matter where you
run your app. As an added bonus, you don't need any sort of graphical
builder; you can just write code directly in your editor.

ChrisA