Eric - "No module named MainWindow"

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sun Feb 17 18:04:23 EST 2013

On 17/02/13 21:35, Vincent Vande Vyvre wrote:
> Le 17/02/13 10:08, Phil a écrit :
>> Thank you for reading this.
>>
>> I've been playing with Eric all day and I almost have a working GUI
>> application, but not quite. I have followed the two tutorials on the
>> Eric site and I'm sure that I haven't miss entered anything and so I
<cut>

> Are you sure you have a class MainWindow in your ui.MainWindow.py ?
>
> Can you show us the code of this MainWindow ?

Thank you Vincent and Joel. I think I have already tried every
conceivable combination but I still cannot get past the error message.
At the risk of burdening the list with lots of code I have decided to
show the code as it stands. It's substantially that from the mini
browser example.

This is the auto generated code for Ui_mainWindow.py:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

# Form implementation generated from reading ui file
'/home/phil/mainWindow.ui'
#
# Created: Sun Feb 17 15:54:33 2013
#      by: PyQt4 UI code generator 4.9.3
#
# WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost!

from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui

try:
     _fromUtf8 = QtCore.QString.fromUtf8
except AttributeError:
     _fromUtf8 = lambda s: s

class Ui_MainWindow(object):
     def setupUi(self, MainWindow):
         MainWindow.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("MainWindow"))
         MainWindow.resize(200, 200)
         self.centralWidget = QtGui.QWidget(MainWindow)
         self.centralWidget.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("centralWidget"))
         self.pushButton = QtGui.QPushButton(self.centralWidget)
         self.pushButton.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(40, 120, 91, 24))
         self.pushButton.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton"))
         MainWindow.setCentralWidget(self.centralWidget)

         self.retranslateUi(MainWindow)
         QtCore.QMetaObject.connectSlotsByName(MainWindow)

     def retranslateUi(self, MainWindow):

MainWindow.setWindowTitle(QtGui.QApplication.translate("MainWindow",
"MainWindow", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))

self.pushButton.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("MainWindow",
"PushButton", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))

if __name__ == "__main__":
     import sys
     app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
     MainWindow = QtGui.QMainWindow()
     ui = Ui_MainWindow()
     ui.setupUi(MainWindow)
     MainWindow.show()
     sys.exit(app.exec_())

This is the code for mainWindow.py"

class MainWindow(QMainWindow, Ui_MainWindow):
     """
     Class documentation goes here.
     """
     def __init__(self, parent = None):
         """
         Constructor
         """
         QMainWindow.__init__(self, parent)
         self.setupUi(self)

And this is the main script that I had originally used and named new_gui.py:

from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
from ui.MainWindow import MainWindow

if __name__ == "__main__":
     import sys
     app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
     ui = MainWindow()
     ui.show()
     sys.exit(app.exec_())

Finally, for completeness, this is the error message when I attempt to
execute new_gui.py:

The debugged program raised the exception unhandled ImportError
"No module named mainWindow"
File: /home/phil/new_gui.py, Line: 2

Could it simply be a case of conflict between my file names and the
module name?

--
Regards,
Phil