Small program ideas

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Feb 26 01:15:24 EST 2013

On 02/25/2013 10:48 PM, eli m wrote:
> On Friday, February 15, 2013 7:22:41 PM UTC-8, eli m wrote:
>> Any small program ideas? I would prefer to stick to command line ones. Thanks.
>
> Thank you guys for the suggestions. Any more?

There are all kinds of things you could do.  First, consider something
that might be useful.

1) checksum all the files in a directory tree, using various checksum
algorithms.

2) Convert one kind of file to another.

3) Calculate time between two dates

4) Write some part of a backup system.  For example, copy files from a
directory tree into a specified directory, stopping when the size totals
N.N gig, and keeping track of which files have been so processed, so
that after burning that directory to DVD, you can repeat the process.
As a bonus, add a utility & datafile to the top of that directory, so
that the DVD can be self-checking.

Then try something interesting:

1) find the nth prime, for example the 1000th prime

2) Find all perfect numbers under a trillion

3) solve the puzzles on http://projecteuler.net

4) Build a spell checker, using a combination of a standard
dictionary-list and custom entries.  Bonus question - Make it smart
enough to only spell-check comments and literal strings, when applied to
files with an extension of .py

--
DaveA