inheritance and how to use it

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Feb 15 13:45:59 EST 2013

On 02/15/2013 01:28 PM, Bob Brusa wrote:

>> <snip>

> to make it more clear, I attach a cut-down version of my program. It
> includes comments to explain in more detail what my problem is.
> Bob

Good job cutting down the sample.  Naturally, it'd have been smart to
tell us you don't get the same traceback this way.  But it looks like
the first problem is in that missing __init__() method.  Instead of
saying "it doe not work" it'd be good to examine just what error
traceback you got when you did have it there.  I suspect it's because
you're passing parameters in when you invoke it  (iodev, baud_rate =
57600)  but you don't have any arguments.  You don't even have the self
argument.

You are also missing the super call, as outlined earlier in this thread.
  So the base class won't being properly initialized once you fix the
first problem.

Reread Thomas Rachel's message, and if you still can't make it work,
tell us what errors you still get, or what you don't understand.

--
DaveA