multiple 2.7.3 versions?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Feb 15 18:06:24 EST 2013

In article <kfmdu8$iim$1 at ger.gmane.org>, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:
> On 2/15/2013 5:53 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
> > On
> > all the other machines I have access to I'm seeing something similar to
> > this
>
> >> Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
> >> (Intel)] on win32
>
> Notice the date again -- the original release date of 2.7.3.

FYI - the date is a build date; it doesn't tell you much about the
source code base used for that Python build.  The tag to the left of it
*may* tell you something, for example, if the build is made from an hg
checkout or if the build is from an official tagged source tarball.  In
this case, "default" doesn't tell much.  But if it had the hg rev used
for the checkout, you have some indication of what it contains.  The
official rev tags for each release are available here:

http://hg.python.org/cpython/tags

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org