How would you do this?

vduncan80 at gmail.com vduncan80 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 14:17:57 EST 2013

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:19:51 PM UTC-7, eli m wrote:
> On Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:09:37 PM UTC-8, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
>
> > On 14 February 2013 23:34, eli m <techgeek201 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > I want to make a guess the number game (Which i have), but i want to make the computer play the game against itself. How would i do this?
>

> > Your question would make more sense if you would show your program and
>

> > also explain how you would like the output to look when the computer
>

> > played itself.
>

> > Oscar
>
> This is my code:
>

> #Guess the number game
>
> import random
>
> run = 0
>
> while run == 0:
>
>     print ("I am thinking of a number between 1 and 100")
>
>     num = random.randint(1, 100)
>
>     num = int(num)
>
>     guesses = 0
>
>     guessestaken = 0
>
>     while guesses == 0:
>
>         try:
>
>             guess = raw_input("Your guess:")
>
>             guess = int(guess)
>
>             guessestaken = (guessestaken) + 1
>
>             guessestaken = int(guessestaken)
>
>             if guess == (num):
>
>                 print 'Correct! It took you', int(guessestaken), 'guesses!'
>
>                 playagain = raw_input("Do you want to play again?")
>
>                 if playagain == "yes":
>
>                     guesses = 1
>
>                 if playagain == "no":
>
>                     run = 1
>
>             if guess > num:
>
>                 print ("My number is lower")
>
>             if guess < num:
>
>                 print ("My number is higher")
>
>         except TypeError, err:
>
>             print ("Not a valid number")
>

> I would like it to show the computer guessing the numbers.

Hello.  I think you code is Python 2.7.  My solution uses Python 3 but I can help you convert it if the solution is what you are looking for.  My approach as to create a class that tries to guess the right number.  This code also eliminates raw_input.  I didn't know how important having it respond via raw_input is to you.  Code follows:

import random
import sys

class Guesser():
    def __init__(self):
        self.low = 1
        self.high = 100

    def getRand(self,x,y):
        num = random.randint(x,y)
        return num

    def guess(self,guess,boundary):
        if boundary == ">":
            self.low = guess
        elif boundary == "<":
            self.high = guess
        else:
            self.low = 1
            self.high = 100
        return self.getRand(self.low,self.high)

    def playagain(self):
        choice = ['Y','N']
        return random.choice(choice)

run = 0

while run == 0:
    guess=1
    guesses=0
    guessestaken = 0
    comp = Guesser()
    num = comp.getRand(1,100)
    result = ""
    print ("I am thinking of a number between 1 and 100")
    while guesses == 0:
        guessestaken += 1
        try:
            guess = comp.guess(guess,result) # replaces input
        except:
            print("Unexpected error:", sys.exc_info()[0])
            raise

        print("Your guess:", guess)
        if guess == num:
            print('Correct! It took you', guessestaken, 'guesses!')
            guesses = 1
        elif guess > num:
            print("My number is lower")
            result = "<"
        else:
            print("My number is higher")
            result = ">"
    print("Do you want to play again?")
    playagain = comp.playagain()    # replaces input
    print(playagain)
    if playagain == "N":
        run = 1

Please let me know if you have questions or would like to discuss this solution further.

Cheers!
vduncan