First attempt at a Python prog (Chess)

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Feb 15 10:36:01 EST 2013

On 15/02/2013 13:11, Oscar Benjamin wrote:
> On 15 February 2013 11:36, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
>> And the "how shall we represent the board?" question is pretty
>> much the first thing any team asks themselves. And you always
>> get someone in favour of lists of lists, someone for one long
>> list,
>
> I always get confused when doing this about which of my coordinates
> needs to be multiplied (i.e. whether I am in Fortran or C order).

How true. This last time, my team split into two: one half
to handle the display, the other working on the algorithm. We
ended up having to draw a really simple diagram on the back of
an envelope with the x,y pairs written out and pass it back
and forth as *everyone* kept forgetting which went first.

>> (Also I seem to remember that the OP was advised earlier precisely
>> to abandon lists of lists in favour of something else).
>
> Actually the suggestion was for the list of lists (instead of a flat list).

Ah, ok. I'd only followed the thread casually. (And I was too lazy to

TJG