Python Makefiles... are they possible?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Feb 13 00:54:04 EST 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:06:35 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

> One thing we do in our Makefiles is "find . -name '*.pyc' | xargs rm".
> It avoids all sorts of nasty and hard to track down bugs (consider what
> happens if you move a .py file from one place in your source tree to
> another and leave the old .pyc behind).

How often do you move files around in the source tree? Meanwhile, *every*
time you run make, you take a performance hit on every Python module in
your project, whether it has moved or not.

Seems to me like a fairly heavy-handed response for something quite rare,
but I suppose that depends on how often you run make.

--
Steven