news.gmane.org (was Re: Awsome Python - chained exceptions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Feb 18 01:10:59 EST 2013

On 2/18/2013 12:51 AM, Rick Johnson wrote:
 > if you (or anyone else) would be kind enough to recommend an
 > alternative to this gawd awful software [google groups],
?  i'm all ears. My expectations at minimum are:

For at least the 10th time, there is little to no excuse for reading and
writing python-list thru google-groups. The news.gmane.org mirror has
multiple interfaces:
'''
Information about gmane.comp.python.general
The archive for this list can be read the following ways:

     On the web, using frames and threads.
     On the web, using a blog-like, flat interface.
     Using an NNTP newsreader.
     RSS feeds:
         All messages from the list, with excerpted texts.
         Topics from the list, with excerpted texts.
         All messages from the list, with complete texts.
         Topics from the list, with complete texts.
'''

> * I only like to read the list from the web, i just hate getting
> thousands of emails in my inbox.

A newsreader interface does the same. That is what I use.

> * I MUST have mono-spaced font (at least as an option).

That is what I have with Thunderbird. I may have told it once to use
monospace for newsgroups. You might be able to do the same with a web
browser.

--
Terry Jan Reedy