Python3 curses behavior

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Feb 9 14:22:47 EST 2013

On 2/9/2013 6:23 AM, Vlasov Vitaly wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I found strange behavior of curses module, that i can't understand. I
> initialize screen with curses.initscr(), then i create subwin of
> screen with screen.subwin(my_subwin_sizes). After that i fill subwin
> with my_char in for-loop. On last char in last line subwin.addch()
> raises exception.

I have never used curses but I have used text screens. I suspect that
addch moves the cursor to the position beyond where the character is
added, but there is no such position. I remember having problems writing
to the last char of a 24x80 screen without getting either a scroll or
beep if scrolling was disabled.

> This is my problem. Why? How to fix it?

Perhaps this will help:
window.leaveok(yes)
If yes is 1, cursor is left where it is on update, instead of being at
“cursor position.” This reduces cursor movement where possible. If
possible the cursor will be made invisible.

> (If i will ignore exception, then last char will be displayed)

Otherwise, just catch the exception, as you already discovered.

--
Terry Jan Reedy