LangWart: Method congestion from mutate multiplicty

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:51:13 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really don't like to read docs when learning a language, especially a "so-called" high level language. I prefer to learn the language by interactive sessions and object introspection. Then, when i have exhausted all abilities to intuit the solution, i will roll my eyes, maybe blubber an expletive, and then reluctantly crack open a user manual.

What Rick means: "I want to claim that I've learned a new language,
but I want it to work exactly like the imaginary language in my mind,
and if it doesn't, I'm going to complain about it, rather than,
yaknow, actually learn a new language."

I have learned *many* languages in the past couple of decades. Some of
them are excellent and I keep using them (Pike). Others are excellent
and I keep talking about them (Python). Some are mediocre or poor, but
I keep using them anyway (bash). Some are not particularly enjoyable
to me and I use them only in the one application that embeds them
(Lua, Scheme, DML). And some, I'm just not going to touch any more
(Q-BASIC). But there is not a single language that hasn't taught me
something new. I'm a better C++ programmer for having learned Python;
a better Python programmer for having grokked Scheme and Lua; and,
believe it or not, a better Scheme programmer for having mastered DML.
And that's a language so obscure it doesn't even have a Wikipedia
page... just a redlink here[1].

Learning a language requires accepting something from it into your
brain, not forcing something from your brain onto the language.

ChrisA

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages_by_type#Extension_languages