LangWart: Method congestion from mutate multiplicty

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 00:28:57 EST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2013 7:27:30 AM UTC-6, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> So...
>> flatten([None, 23, [1, 2, 3], (2, 3), ["spam", "ham"]])
>>
>> would return
>>
>> [None, 23, 1, 2, 3, (2, 3), "spam", "ham"]
>>
>> I think that's even more unexpected.
>
> Why? Are you over-analyzing? Show me a result that /does/ make you happy.
>
> Do you remember when i was talking about how i attempt to intuit interfaces before reading any docs? Well i have news for you Chris, what you are doing is NOT "intuiting" how flatten will work, what you are doing is "projecting" how flatten will work; these are two completely different concepts Chris.
>
> You can't procrastinate over this method forever because NEWSFLASH you will /never/ find a perfect flatten algorithm that will please /everyone/, so just pick the most logical and consistent, and MOVE ON!

Yeah, this is where one has to consider the idea of a unified data
model (a sort of OOPv2).  Right now, it's all confused because people
are using their own internal, subconscious ideas of data.  There are
natural ways of working with data that ***actually map onto the world
we all share*** and there are other ways which are purely abstract and
not-pragmatic however "pure".   (Apart from this, there is the
ultra-concrete data model, like C, which only maps onto the machine
architecture).  This is where pretty much every computer language is
today.

What I'm suggesting I think is somewhat novel.  The first version of
OOP was too concrete in the sense that it was actually trying to make
real-world objects in the machine (class Chevy(Car):).  This is
ridiculous.  There needs to be a refactor of the OOP paradigm.  In
practice OOP never was used to represent real-world objects.  It came
to model virtual world objects, a very different world with different
relationships.  It became the evolution of the data type itself.  The
unified object model needs to do for OOP what arithmetic did for
number:  defined a very basic and general set of operations on the
concept of "quantificiation".  But here were trying to do that not for
quantification but for structures.

My suggestion is to create the "fractal graph" data type to end (and
represent) all data types.  (Keep all the special, high-speed matrix
ideas in SciPi/VPython.)  But generally, re-arrange the data model
around the fractal graph for efficiency and start watching the magic
happen.

markj
pangaia.sf.net