LangWart: Method congestion from mutate multiplicty

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 20:14:26 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> Mark Janssen wrote:
>
>> A unified data model as I define it, specifies a canonical atomic unit
>> (like the unit integer) and an abstract grouping construct in which
>> these atomic units can be arranged.  By themselves, these two can
>> construct arbitrary levels of data structure complexity.  Add the
>> ability to apply names to these levels, and you have a complete data
>> model for a happy programming environment.  My work, to give you some
>> context, involves the invention of a "fractal graph" which is where
>> the name "unified object model" came from, because a fractal graph, I
>> argue can represent every part of the physical world at every scale.
>
> How can you breathe *way* up there in space?
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html

Haha, point taken, but I actually have an application for such a
high-level abstraction -- a 3-d web.  A unified information model
could take the internet to the next level (much like the Internet
itself did to all the disparate communications networks before).
Instead of the current hypertext and cumbersome attempt at coding
semantic meaning in RDF tags, (re)present the internet content in a
3-d space and let the visual cortex, along with the crowd, make the
relationships.  (See pangaia.sourceforge.net)

> P.S. not all phenomena are fractal. The elbow joint, for instance, is just a
> hinge, and not made of smaller elbow joints made of tinier elbow joints
> made of even tinier elbow joints made of ...

Oh, no doubt about that.  Perhaps instead of fractal graph, I should
call it a recursive graph -- there must be a "base case" which ends
the infinite regress.  For the model I've been working on, that base
case is the unit integer (or the machine word with only the
least-significant-bit set to "1").

Cheers,

mark