memoryview (was "len() on mutables vs. immutables")

Demian Brecht demianbrecht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 01:24:49 EST 2013

On 2013-02-07 8:30 PM, "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>So you may assume

I've been bitten far too many times by incorrect assumptions about
implementations that ended up actually doing something quite silly. Having
said that, I felt fairly safe in making that assumption with Python, but
figured I'd write something about my findings as I dug around the source
in order to answer the question for myself.

Still wondering about memoryview though:

If a memoryview (3+) is representing a non-continuguous block of memory (>
1
ndim), will len(obj) not return incorrect results? It seems to be
reporting the shape of the 0th dim at the moment.. Or is there something
that I'm missing altogether?