Detecting a click on the turtle screen when the turtle isn't doing anything?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Feb 6 16:52:00 EST 2013

On 2013-02-05, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> 	I'll echo the "Ugh" about the use of global AND ADD a dislike of the
> busy loop that only exits if some other return sets a value. If the busy
> loop were performing some action that changed the test state within the
> loop itself, okay...

TBH, I was originally going to use

input('press RETURN to continue')

but I thought it would be nicer to click on the plot window.

> -=-=-=-
> import threading
>
> evtFlag = threading.Event()

This is a global variable, but here we're calling a method on it
rather than changing its value (boolean in my original case).  Why is
that better in principle?

> def clicked(x, y):
> 	print("clicked at %f %f" % (x, y))
> 	evtFlag.set()
> 	#don't need "global" as not binding to the name evtFlag
> 	#don't need "return" as falling off the end of the function
> 	#	implements return

Does it do any harm to put an empty "return" at the end of a method?
(It looks tidier to me with the return.)

> def wait_for_clicks(s):
> 	evtFlag.clear()
> 	s.listen()
> 	evtFlag.wait()
> 	#don't need "global" or "return"
> 	#don't need busy loop; .wait() blocks until some other thread
> 	#	(GUI callback) sets the Event

I tried these and got even worse results --- even Ctrl-C in the xterm
I was running the program from wouldn't kill it; I had to use Ctrl-Z
and kill %1.

--
It would be unfair to detect an element of logic in the siting of the
Pentagon alongside the National Cemetery, but the subject seems at