Opinion on best practice...

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Feb 5 17:59:02 EST 2013

On 2013-02-05, Neil Cerutti <neilc at norwich.edu> wrote:
> On 2013-02-05, Walter Hurry <walterhurry at lavabit.com> wrote:
>>> Sorry, I'm a Linux guy.  I have no clue what that means.
>>
>> Hooray for common sense! Python is great, but it's silly to use
>> Python (unless there is good reason) when a simple shell script
>> will do the job.
>
> Python is an excellent option for writing shell scripts,
> particularly if your shell is cmd.exe.

The OP stated explicitly that the target OS was Linux:

>>> I need to pick up a language that would cover the Linux platform.  I
>>> use Powershell for a scripting language on the Windows side of
>>> things.

Don't get me wrong -- I think Python is great -- but when the target
OS is Linux, and what you want to do are file find, move, copy,
rename, delete operations, then I still say bash should be what you
try first.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! GOOD-NIGHT, everybody
                                  at               ... Now I have to go