autoflush on/off

Jabba Laci jabba.laci at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 19:09:48 EST 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I like the context manager idea but setting
the sys.stdout back to the original value doesn't work.

Example:

class Unbuff(object):
    def __init__(self):
        self.stdout_bak = sys.stdout

    def __enter__(self):
        sys.stdout.flush()
        sys.stdout = os.fdopen(sys.stdout.fileno(), 'w', 0)

    def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb):
        sys.stdout = self.stdout_bak

####

with Unbuff():
        for i in range(5):
            sys.stdout.write('.')
            sleep(.5)
#
sys.stdout.write('EXIT')    # provokes an error

The problem is in __exit__ when sys.stdout is pointed to the old
value. sys.stdout.write doesn't work from then on. Output:

.....close failed in file object destructor:
sys.excepthook is missing
lost sys.stderr

Laszlo