looking for a quote on age and technology

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 14:11:24 EST 2013

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Joel Goldstick wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is a quote which I vaguely remember seeing on this list.
>> It went something like this: (yeah my rendering is poor)
>>
>> For a new technology:
>>   If you are a kid when it comes out, you just take it as a matter of
>> course
>>   If you are a young adult, then it becomes a hot topic for discussion
>>   If you are past middle-age you never get it
>>
>> Anyone knows/remembers it?
>> --
>

> sorry, don't remember it, but I disagree.  I'm pretty old (b. 1953) and
> sometimes younger people think they get something that really isn't that
> impressive.

You are disagreeing with a contrapositive:
That the oldies dont get it does not mean the young 'uns do!
In fact the whole point of that quote (however it went!) was that in
different ways no one 'gets' it

>  I have an android phone and I like it, but as a phone, compared
> to phones that sit on a desk it totally sucks.

I am reminded of a famous quote :
I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
how to use my telephone.
-------
The double irony is the (supposed) utterer:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bjarne_Stroustrup