Idle Problems

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Dec 30 15:53:14 EST 2013

On 30/12/2013 18:43, rpucci2 at cox.net wrote:
> Hi I just joined this list and have a question.I have python 3.3.3 and
> running it on a windows 7 computer.Python has been running good until
> recently.I can bring up python shell,but when I go to run a recently
> loaded program,the code comes up briefly on the screen and then
> disappears.Python just quits and then I have to start over.Can someone
> tell me what is happening?I’m new to python and am just learning.Thanks

Hi, welcome to Python.

This is a common question and has been answered quite a few times on
this list, including quite recently. However, I can't for the life of me
find an example of such an answer in the archives! (Someone's sure to
help me out here).

In short, you'd do better to start up a console window (using Start >
Run > cmd.exe or any other way you choose). You can then cd to the
directory your code is in, and run the programs that way. The thing is
that, if your program looks like this:

<code>
import sys

print("Hello, World!)
print("I'm running Python version ", sys.version)

</code>

then, when you double-click, your program will run in a console window,
print its brief output, and exit, all before you've really noticed
what's going on!

Have a look here:

   http://docs.python.org/3.3/faq/windows

and here: