Blog "about python 3"

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 31 04:53:25 EST 2013

Mark Lawrence wrote:

> http://blog.startifact.com/posts/alex-gaynor-on-python-3.html.

I quote:

"...perhaps a brave group of volunteers will stand up and fork Python 2, and
take the incremental steps forward. This will have to remain just an idle
suggestion, as I'm not volunteering myself."

I expect that as excuses for not migrating get fewer, and the deadline for
Python 2.7 end-of-life starts to loom closer, more and more haters^W
Concerned People will whine about the lack of version 2.8 and ask for
*somebody else* to fork Python.

I find it, hmmm, interesting, that so many of these Concerned People who say
that they're worried about splitting the Python community[1] end up
suggesting that we *split the community* into those who have moved forward
to Python 3 and those who won't.

[1] As if the community is a single amorphous group. It is not. It is made
up of web developers using Zope or Django, and scientists using scipy, and
linguists using NLTK, and system administrators using nothing but the
stdlib, and school kids learning how to program, and professionals who know
seventeen different programming languages, and EVE Online gamers using
Stackless, and Java guys using Jython, and many more besides, most of whom
are sure that their little tiny part of the Python ecosystem is
representative of everyone else when in fact they hardly talk at all.

--
Steven