Tkinter problem: TclError> couldn't connect to display ":0

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 00:59:31 EST 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:30:11 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> > <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> >> So you need to X-forward from the remote machine to the machine you are
> >> physically on, or perhaps it's the other way (X is really weird). I
> >> have no idea how to do that, but would love to know.
> >
> > With SSH, that's usually just "ssh -X target", and it'll mostly work.
>
> Holy cow, it works! Sloooooooowly, but works.

I usually use "ssh -Y".  The -Y argument toggles trusted forwarding.  From
the ssh man-page:

     -Y      Enables trusted X11 forwarding.  Trusted X11 forwardings are
not subjected to the X11
             SECURITY extension controls.

I've found -Y is a bit faster than -X in my experience (I've never really
had many problems with X-forwarding on LANs in my experience -- even with
OpenGL windows)