So, what's the real story on Python 2 vs Python 3?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 05:51:40 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Rustom Mody  wrote:
>> 2. Always write strings with a u" prefix
> 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 don't understand this, but 3.3 does.

Ok
I was writing this under the assumption that 2 is really entrenched
whereas 3.n is dispensable when 3.n+1 comes out
At least on my debian box 3.2 recently got obsoleted and removed when
3.3 came out.

> In a project I wanted to run on 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3,

Obviously my assumption may not always be 'assumable' eg sometime ago
there was someone who wanted to port his old working python app to 3.
2to3 was not working because he was using string exceptions (His code
was 1.something!!)

--

http://blog.languager.org