So, what's the real story on Python 2 vs Python 3?

Andrew Berg robotsondrugs at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 00:20:18 EST 2013

On 2013.12.26 23:04, Travis McGee wrote:
> The Python.org site says that the future is Python 3, yet whenever I try
> something new in Python, such as Tkinter which I am learning now,
> everything seems to default to Python 2. By this I mean that, whenever I
> find that I need to install another package, it shows up as Python 2
> unless I explicitly specify Python 3.
>
> What's the deal? If I want to make a distributable software package,
> should it be 2 or 3? Enquiring minds want to know.

Oh boy, another 2 vs. 3 thread!

Always use 3 unless you absolutely have to use 2. Python 3 is not a shiny new thing. It is *five* years old at this point and is soon to
have its *fifth* significant release. Python 2.6 is EOL, and there will not be a 2.8.
However, people have stayed with Python 2 for various reasons, and unfortunately, many of those people haven't even made an effort to
migrate until the last year or so.
Most of the major third-party libraries these days are either 3.x compatible or have 3.x-compatible replacements, though.

--
CPython 3.3.3 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 10.0