Recovering deleted files

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 10:45:37 EST 2013

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM, George Tang <geosxbox at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to python and was trying to program with txt files, and tried to move the txt file to a new directory. i did not read very carefully about what shutil.move(src, dst) does and it deleted some of my files. How do i recover my lost files. plz help!

Ouch. I'm afraid Python can't really help you there; you have to go to
your OS and file system now. Do as little as you possibly can on that
disk and you might be able to recover the contents. If you're lucky,
your file system won't have reused those parts of the disk, so
everything'll be intact... if you're REALLY lucky, you might even be
able to find the bits you want without searching the whole disk. But
it depends now on your OS and FS, not on Python.

This is why we make backups of all important files. I like to use
source control (git for me, or you could use Mercurial or another one
with the same result), which makes backing up an inherent part of all
work. But everyone has those critical files that they didn't know
weren't backed up... :(

ChrisA