Apache restart after source changes

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Thu Dec 26 08:26:58 EST 2013

On 12/26/13 12:57 AM, Fredrik Bertilsson wrote:
> I am evaluating Python for web development and just found out that I need to restart Apache after source changes on windows. Using linux the situation is better but I still have to touch the wsgi file. Is it only me that finds this being a major drawback compared to PHP?

In general, PHP is more tightly integrated into web servers than Python
is.  Python's advantages are 1) a more disciplined and carefully planned
language and standard library, and 2) a larger and broader ecosystem of
libraries, especially for tasks not directly related to serving web pages.

As to restarting servers after source changes: most people do not change
file directly on their production servers.  They develop on their own
machines, test the code, then deploy it to a production server.  In this
scenario, restarting the web server is not a burden.

I don't know what the options are for auto-restarting the kinds of web
servers you'd use in production, I'm sure there are some.  Someone here
mentioned the Django web server, but that isn't intended for production use.