Variables in a loop, Newby question

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 01:34:13 EST 2013

On 12/24/2013 11:27 AM, vanommen.robert at gmail.com wrote:
> Indeed this is code what I found on the web to read temperatures from
> 10 DS18B20 singlewire sensors.
>
> My only programming (little) experience is VBA (Excel mostly).

Definitely you'll want to learn python before you go much farther in
this project.  Check out the online docs, tutorials, etc.

> In this script i want to read the temperatures and make them
> available to other scripts.

Here's some almost runnable code that might help you get down the right
track.  You'll have to fill in some of the stuff.

temperatures.py:
import time
sensorids = [...] #fill in these with your ids

def _read_sensor(id):
  # open /sys/bus/w1/deevices/id/slave
  text = ''
  while text.split("\n")[0].find("YES") == -1:
    tfile = open("/sys/bus/w1/devices/"+ id +"/w1_slave")
    text = tfile.read()
    tfile.close()
    time.sleep(0.1)
  temperaturedata = text.split("\n")[1].split(" ")[9]it(" ")[9]
  temperature = float(temperaturedata [2:]) / 1000
  return temperature

def get_temperatures():
  # not using list comprehensions but we could
  temps = []
  for sensor in sensorids:
    temps.append(_read_sensor(sensor))

Then in your other python modules (scripts):

import temperatures

print temperatures.get_temperatures() # should print a list

Hope this gives you a bit of structure you can use.  All the code you
need to fill in can come from the code you posted previously.