[OT]Royal pardon for codebreaker Turing

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 24 19:57:08 EST 2013

Tim Johnson wrote:

> * Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> [131224 07:05]:
>> On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 00:32:31 +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>
>> > Maybe of interest to some of you
>> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25495315
>>
>> While I'm happy for Alan Turing, may he rest in peace, I think the
>> thousands of other homosexuals who have been prosecuted for something
>> which shouldn't be a crime in the first place might be a bit peeved that
>> he is singled out for a pardon.
>
>   The LGBTs that I know are happy to hear about it...

How many of them have been prosecuted themselves? If they have been, did
they get pardoned as well?

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not objecting to Turing being pardoned. I'm
suggesting that there are probably thousands of people whose lives were
equally ruined, and they haven't been pardoned. I'm sure that Turing wasn't
the only person who was forced into taking hormone "therapy", he probably
wasn't the only person driven to suicide, and I know that he wasn't the
only one who lost his job and career because of the hateful laws.

Turing's prosecution was an especially spiteful example, given his role in
the war effort, but many others suffered equally. Some may even be alive
today. Where is their royal pardon?

--
Steven