Google Groups + this list

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Dec 26 00:40:38 EST 2013

Rustom Mody wrote:

> I seem to have been kicked off something or other --
> First thought it was google groups -- then saw some mails from Steven
> describing similar 'non-reaching' problems.

I don't think you can actually be kicked off Google Groups. Isn't it open to
anyone with an account? If you have an account, can you log in?

(I could be wrong -- I don't actually use it for various reasons which I'm
happy to share if anyone cares but aren't actually germane to the issue at
hand.)

My issues were different. I'm posting via Usenet, and my ISP piggy-backs off
some other Usenet hosting company. Occasionally they have temporary issues
with posts being broken, either permanently or (in the most recent case)
temporarily.

> Anyway for the last couple of days I'm getting mail bounces after
> about 24 hours to all my posts (via GG)

Sounds like a problem with GG, probably some temporary misconfiguration with
one of their servers which will be attended to once Google get a round
tuit.

> So trying a different route -- Does this reach?
>
> [And if it does... Merry Christmas!]

Got it, thanks!

> Heres the kind of bounce message I get (with emails crossed out)

> On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Mail Delivery Subsystem
> <mailer-daemon AT google> wrote:
>>
>> Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>>
>>      comp.lang.python AT usenet.google.com

Looks like Google implements their Usenet mirror via email, instead of using
a News server. I have no idea if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but
its a thing.

--
Steven