Google Groups + this list

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 11:22:26 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> I suggest the following:
>
> 1) Don't fault newcomers for using Google Groups.  Politely suggest
> alternatives, but only if you are also helping them, or if they have already
> gotten help.
>
> 2) Be careful how you rail against Google Groups.  When you call its results
> "crap" (for example), it can sound like an insult to the poster.  You mean
> to refer to Google Groups, but remember you are also referring to the
> poster's words.

I'm always careful of both of these. When I post alternatives to GG,
it's as part of another informative and on-topic post. If GG annoys me
but I don't have anything useful to say, I just move right along. (And
sometimes even if I do have something useful I could say. Sometimes
it's just not worth the hassle of cleaning up someone's misformatted
code so I can help them.)

> 3) Don't let's get into protracted internal debates about Google Groups.  It
> is for the moment at least, an unavoidable part of this list.

This is where I'm not so good :|

ChrisA