Airplane mode control using Python?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 03:46:23 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM,  <rurpy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, December 22, 2013 10:37:35 PM UTC-7, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> Actually, formatting errors ARE often caused by Google Groups. Maybe
>> it wasn't in this instance, but I have seen several cases of GG
>> mangling code formatting, so this was a perfectly reasonable theory.
>
> And you have determined format errors are coming from GG how exactly?
> You would need to know the original contents entered into GG, yes?
> Perhaps you have done experiments to determine these errors that you
> could share with us?

Previous people's posts to this very list. Search the archives, you
know this to be true!

Why, rurpy, do you continue to support, apologize for, and argue in
favour of, a piece of software that (a) you know to be buggy, and (b)
has perfectly viable alternatives? Why is it so important to you? When
you use an ad-funded service, you are paying for it. When you pay for
a service, you send a message that it is the one you want to use. I
use Google Search because it is excellent; other people feel it's too
invasive of privacy and use DuckDuckGo instead. If DDG were hopelessly
buggy, people would argue against its use - *especially* if that
bugginess caused problems for other people. (Imagine if its crawler
violated robots.txt and common sense, and caused problems for web
servers.) How would the owners/authors of DDG feel if they produced
stupidly buggy software but everyone used it anyway? Pretty well
justified, I would think, and so there'd be no reason for them to put
effort into fixing the bugs.

I'm happy to use all sorts of "free" (aka ad-funded) services - Google
Search, Gmail, Kongregate, The Pirate Bay, Google Docs, Stack
Overflow, IMDB... endless list. I use them because they are good, or
at least because they are better than the alternatives. With some of
them, there's a lock-in effect from the community. If you hate Stack
Overflow, for instance, you have to bypass a whole lot of potential
information. But avoiding Google Groups just means using gmane or
Thunderbird or python-list, and you get all the same content without
any loss. So why stick to something that sends mail with mess all over
it?

ChrisA